ALBERTA SOLAR MICRO-GENERATION

The Alberta Micro Generation Regulation, which simplifies the grid connection process for micro-generators, came into effect on January 1, 2009. The regulation allows for an offset of the site energy consumption with the energy generated on-site. A bi-directional meter measures both imported and exported energy. Energy retailers net out the imported and exported energy and bill or issues a credit according to the total net, hence, net billing.

It is important to note that the amount of energy generated “is intended to meet all or a portion of the customer’s electricity needs.” If the purpose of the electrical generation is for profit, then it can be connected to the grid using a different distributed generator interconnection process as regulated by the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) Rule 007.

Dandelion Renewables manages all aspects of the microgeneration application process and provides the best commercial solar panel systems in Alberta.

ALBERTA MUNICIPAL SOLAR PROGRAM

The Alberta Municipal Solar Program provides municipalities and non-profit community-related organizations with rebates for installing grid-tied Alberta solar PV systems. The rebate provided is calculated as follows:

  • Solar PV Systems 2 kW or greater and less than 10 kW: $0.90/Watt (The rebate will cover a maximum of 25% of the total installed cost of the system).
  • Solar PV Systems 10 kW or greater and less than 150 kW: $0.75/Watt (The rebate will cover a maximum of 25% of the total installed cost of the system).
  • Solar PV Systems 150 kW or greater and less than 2 MW: $0.60/Watt (The rebate will cover a maximum of 25% of the total installed cost of the system).
  • Solar PV Systems 2 MW or greater, up to 5 MW: $0.55/Watt (The rebate will cover a maximum of 25% of the total installed cost of the system).

To qualify for this program, the following requirements must be met:

  • The project must comply with the Alberta Micro-generation Regulation 27/2008
  • The Alberta solar PV system capacity must be greater than or equal to 2 kW
  • The municipality must meet the definition of “municipality” as per Section 1(s) of the Municipal Government Act

ALBERTA INDIGENOUS SOLAR PROGRAM

The Alberta Indigenous Solar Program provides Alberta Indigenous communities or organizations with rebates for installing grid-tied solar PV systems. The rebate provided covers 80% of the total installed cost to a maximum of $200,000 per project. Applicants are eligible to access other non-Government of Alberta-funded programs to cover the remaining 20% of the project's costs. To qualify for this program, the following requirements must be met:

  • Solar PV system must have a capacity of 2 kW or greater, up to 1 MW
  • The system cost must be under $3.25/Watt

SOLAR FOR SCHOOLS PROGRAM (SFSP - MCCAC)

Installing a solar PV system will:

  • Generate free power for the solar system’s entire 25+ year life
  • Reduce your utility bills so you can reinvest those savings into other priorities across your schools
  • Provide a practical learning experience about renewable energy and climate change for students
  • Demonstrate your school authority’s commitment to sustainability and social responsibility

Eligible School Authorities can submit multiple applications, but can only apply for funding up to $3 million. School Authorities can use up to $1.5 million towards new school construction projects.

School Authorities must engage students as part of the project.

Receive a rebate per watt of total installed capacity ($/W), up to 50% of eligible expenses, as per the table below.

Total Installed Capacity (DC) Rebate
<10 kilowatts $1.50/watt
10 kilowatts to <150 kilowatts $1.25/watt
150 kilowatts to <2 Megawatts $1.10/watt
2 Megawatts to 5 Megawatts $1.00/watt